We all love something sweet, don’t we? Especially when it is celebration time. A classic for Eid celebrations is the ‘seviyan’, vermicelli cooked with sugar and nuts. Another delicious preparation with the seviyan or vermicelli is the Kheer, similar to the south Indian semiya Paysasam but little thicker in consistency. Both the kheer and the payasam are sweet dishes where different ingredients are added to boiled milk. It is always a rich and delicious affair.
Here is my take on a delicious vermicelli kheer, enhanced with the royal flavour of rose and embellished with the crunchy texture and delicious flavours of nuts. I have called it the Sweet, Rosy and Nutty Kheer. It is a rather simple recipe but the result is an elegant and succulent dessert that will surely sweeten everything in your life.
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar (to taste)
- 1 cup vermicelli broken into pieces
- 10 almonds, slit
- 2 tablespoons pistachio, crushed coarsely
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts
- A few strands of saffron (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 teaspoon rose water (or a few drops of rose essence)
- A few rose petals to garnish
- In a pan fry the cashew nuts and crushed pistachio in a little ghee. Keep aside.
- Pour the milk in a heavy bottom skillet and put on medium heat. Let the milk boil and reduce to a thicker consistency.
- While the milk is boiling, fry the vermicelli in the remaining ghee till it is a little brownish. Careful not to let it burn.
- Add the vermicelli to the reduced milk, still on fire. Cook while stiring.
- Add sugar and continue cooking till it dissolves.
- Stir in the saffron and nuts (keep a few for garnishing).
- When done, add the cardamon powder and rose water/ essence. Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with rose petals and nuts. (can be served warm or cold).
Photo by Devaraj Moothoosamy – rights reserved
Copyright: Devaraj Moothoosamy. Please share this article as much as you can, but in a respectful and ethical manner, by mentioning the source. Usage of photos from this article is strictly prohibited without prior authorisation. Kindly feel free to contact me at any time.
3 thoughts on “The Sweet, Rosy and Nutty – A Kheer Recipe”
Hi.i’ll try it soon and let you know😍😍😍
Yum! Lovely pictures!